Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice is Back! and so am I...

I have decided to start back up with my blog and use this as a writing tool for myself and as a public way to let y'all know what I'm up to.
Today marks the winter solstice of 2011 and a very exciting and energizing time. The days will start to get longer again, the sun will rise a little higher everyday and hopefully we will have some snow soon, so that we can enjoy that sun while skiing the cross country trails of the northland.
This season feels very different for me this year. It will be the first christmas where I won't be with my family at all. I will be heading to Morris to spend it with Lee and the Martin Clan. But also, I feel like a lot has happened in one year for me. I have new adventures on my horizon, I have left jobs and found a place at the Northern Waters Smokehaus. Lee and I have found a home in Duluth and a place that has become our haven. And most recently I have mourned the death of an old friend and been trying to understand my own meaning of life.
I believe that we must follow our bliss with great intensity. And we must do this with great intention. I am on the brink of understanding what it means to actually set specific goals and then figure out the small steps that must be taken in order to get there. I have gone through a lot of my life with these lofty dreams of rough ideas of what I want to be. And that's how you end up as a crepe maker in Fort Collins, CO!
I am writing, because I feel like it's something I have to do to stay sane and grounded. And I know that I must do it everyday if I actually want to call myself a writer. I have been inspired by people whom I see take the time to be diligent and have purpose and do the things they say they want to do. I am becoming an assistant sea kayak guide this next summer, because that is also something that I feel I must do and it's no accident that I am ending up in Bayfield, on Lake Superior.
So, this season, go out and do what you are meant to do, with great passion and purpose for your authentic life. The holiday of Christmas has lost it's meaning a little bit for me in the past years, but I understand the sun rising and it's cause for celebration and that we have a lot to be thankful for. Merry Christmas and Happy Winter Solstice!

No comments: